Copying a subset of documents from one SharePoint 2007 document library to another
User wants an "easy" way to copy a subset of documents in a large document library to another document library; specifically, the subset is defined as all documents that meet specific metadata criteria (i.e. columns values meet certain conditions). All metadata must move with the documents as well.
While SharePoint allows you to perform filtering on a document library, going in to explorer view (which can be used to move documents) ignores the filtering and always shows all documents
Perform the following:
1. create a destination document library (no need to recreate metadata columns)
2. (have SharePoint administrator) go to http://TOPLEVELPATH/Reports%20List/AllItems.aspx (which is 'Content and Structure Reports')
3. click New -> New Item
4. give the report a name and set the CAML Query for your (column) filtering conditions; something like:
<Where><Eq><FieldRef Name="metatagexample"></FieldRef><Value Type="Text">a</Value></Eq></Where>
5. save the report
6. go to http://SITEPATH/_Layouts/sitemanager.aspx (which is 'Site Content and Structure')
7. select your new report from the list of Views (this should show the filtered list of documents)
8. select all documents (by clicking the checkbox in the upper left)
9. click Actions -> Copy then pick your destination document library
All documents will be copied and all metadata will be replicated as well!