SharePoint Site Migration Tidbit
Recently I had to move some WSS 3.0 sites from a development server to production (post upgrade from WSS 2.0). I used the stsadm import/export pair to create the necessary files to facilitate the move. An interesting thing happened…
I exported the site (and underlying sites) using:
Stsadm –o export –url <url> -filename <filename.cmp> -includeusersecurity
Then imported the output (compressed files) using:
Stsadm –o import –url <url> -filename <filename.cmp> -includeusersecurity
Everything worked fine and there were no errors reported in the log. But when I did some testing I noticed several documents were not transported. After some investigation, I used the following export syntax and all files moved cleanly.
Stsadm –o export –url <url> -filename <filename.cmp> -includeusersecurity –versions 4