Friday, August 18, 2006 12:11 PM
More Questions Answered
Just so that you are aware, I am currently focussing on InfoPath 2007 beta using MOSS and InfoPath Forms Services (ie: displaying the forms in the browser). Therefore please assume unless otherwise stated that all postings are for Forms Services and not the InfoPath client. In most cases if it can be done in Forms Services it and more can be done in the full client.
Questions, Answers and useful tips & tricks
1. Is it possible to display a dynamic image within an InfoPath Form?
Yes and No.
Although this is possible using a Rich Text Box, you cannot display the image anywhere other than inside the rich text box, it also will require a Web Service to present the appropriate XHTML to the rich text box for display purposes. Otherwise, you'd need to look at using ASPX and hosting the form within that. You are also restricted to GIF and JPEG images, TIFs etc do not seem to work.
I was trying to displaying a multi-page tif, this was not possible, so now it will be rendered to PDF and linked to via a URL.
Please also note that it is very limiting on the XHTML that you can use, you cannot embed anything, not even an iframe...
2. Always make sure that for repeating sections you specify min/max occurs in your XML schema on the XML element object and not at any other level.
3. If you have a repeating table within a repeating table and decide that you want to move the headers for the child table into the column within the parent table this can break your form, as it seems to keep some sort of link between the header and the data. I recommend removing the headers from the child table altogether and then typing in your own headers.
4. Bug - It seems that if you try to make a field read only based on another field then it doesn’t work in the web browser, however it does work if you choose to hide the field instead of make it read only.
5. When you add a sharepoint list to Outlook 2007 you cannot drag & drop emails into it unless the list is a discussion board.
This seems to me to be something to do with the content type message but as yet I have not managed to make it work even though I've made the message content type available in a standard document library.